- Product Description
- Lighter than lead
- Easy to use
- No scrap value means Wakaflex is not at risk of theft
- No welding required
- Twice as fast to install as lead
- British Board of Agrément Certified
- 20 year manufacturer's guarantee against manufacturing defect
- BRE Tested
Wakaflex Lead Free Lead Replacement Flashing 140mm x 180mm / 280mm / 370mm / 560mm
Klober Wakaflex is a lead free, flexible, adhesive flashing designed to replace lead in most modern roofing applications.
This product has many advantages over traditional lead flashings for those working in the construction industry, including a simple & quick installation process & non-toxic, lightweight material.
Easy to apply due to high stretchability - up to 50% lengthwise & 15% crosswise of the material, and has a unique product composition with a self welding effect.
Suitable for: All wall abutments, chimneys and other rising parts of structures such as dormers
Please note: Wakaflex is not compatible with bituminous material & must not be installed such that ponding can occur.
Wakaflex lead-free flashing is the solution to insurance cover issues:
With insurance companies suggesting that severe limitations are likely to be placed on claims relating to lead theft, churches in particular are facing a major funding problem.
On the one hand, premiums are likely to be increased whether or not a theft has taken place while on the other, cover may be limited to a fraction of the replacement cost.
Some sources having suggested a limit of just £5,000 in higher risk areas. Those maintaining listed buildings or ones affected by conservation area requirements are invariably faced with a stipulation to use lead. English Heritage has endorsed the use of stainless steel but though this removes the risk of repeat theft, the cost is still high.
With the fabric of a building at risk once lead has been removed, an immediate repair is essential. A non-metallic flashing is the most practical and cost-effective solution and Wakaflex from Klober has a high strength adhesive backing which bonds to most building materials and needs no fixing clips. It is particularly useful for laps and provides immediate, lasting protection.
Klober Wakaflex is a lightweight, lead-free flashing suitable for all roofing abutment work and sealing gas, oil and wood burner flue penetrations. BBA-certified, it is ideal for use with plain tiled and other double-lapped roofs, a job which would otherwise require a specialist roofer.
With similar flexibility and malleability to lead, Wakaflex can also be stretched without using forming tools, making complex detailing and shaping around profiled tiles and standing seams straightforward.
It has a smooth facing which repels dirt and can be cut by either knife or shears making Klober Wakaflex far quicker to fit than lead and as a result of its light weight can be laid in long lengths.
Unlike lead it is not susceptible to cold working fatigue and is also resistant to thermal movement. It is environmentally safe and can therefore be used with rainwater harvesting systems and in close proximity to green roofs.
Insurance companies are taking note of the cost savings and solution to the threat of lead theft that products like Wakaflex provide. Risk of associated and consequential damage is removed, so the impact on premiums where it is used can only be positive.
- Minimum pitch is the minimum pitch of the tile
- Maximum pitch 90 degree
- Please ensure that the non-supported gap between tiles and any rising building parts is less than 50mm otherwise install additional support.
- Polyisobuthylene (PIB) with aluminium-meshwork & butyl-adhesive tape
- 140mm - 2.7kg
- 180mm - 3.4kg
- 280mm x 5mtr - 5.2kg / 280mm x 10mtr - 10.48kg
- 370mm - 6.8kg
- 560mm - 10.4kg
- Roll length: 5 mtr / 10mtr
- Width: 140mm / 180mm / 280mm / 370mm / 560mm
- 10 years Manufacturer's guarantee against manufacturing defect
- Turn into brickwork joints or chase in by not less than 30mm.
- Use sealant to seal the joint Where the joint is large or uneven, form a welt at the back of the joint and seal with sealant Use strips of Wakaflex folded several times as wedges into brickwork to retain the flashing in place prior to sealing with sealant
- At top edge abutments use Wakaflex to cover the slates by a minimum of 150mm and turn up wall by 75mm.
- Fix in brickwork joints as above At mansards, extend over slates on lower roof by a minimum of 150mm.
- Fit a lay board and tilting fillet to the upper roof and extend flashing 150mm – 200mm up the slope.
- Form a 30 mm welt at the top. Nail into position at the top at approximately 150 mm centres
- Fixing Instructions for use around chimneys are available directly from Klober
- Double Lap Slates require each course to be interleaved with soakers.
- A separate piece of Wakaflex should be dressed over the soakers down to the pitch line and dressed into the wall, secured with clips and sealed with sealant
Flat Interlocking Tiles (such as Marley Moderns & Redland Mini Stonewolds):
- Flat Interlocking Tiles require a secret gutter with the Wakaflex taken over the Flat Interlocking Tiles by not less than 150mm and dressed into the wall, secured with clips and sealed with sealant.
- Do not use as hip or valley soakers with interlocking tiles
Profiled Tiles (Such as Redland 49s, Marley Mendips & Sandtoft Double Romans):
- At side abutments use Wakaflex to form a cover flashing, covering the width of the tile by a minimum of 150mm and turning up the wall by a minimum of 150mm, cutting back the steps to a minimum of 65mm
- Do not use as hip or valley soakers with interlocking tiles
- At side abutments use Wakaflex to form soakers between plain tiles covering the width of the tile by a minimum of 120mm and turning up wall by 65 mm.
- Turn the top of each soaker over the tile.
- The soaker should not be visible at the front of each course.
- Cover the upstands of the soakers with a step flashing up the wall by a minimum of 150mm, cutting back the steps to a minimum of 65mm and turn into brickwork as above
- For Redland DuoPlain interlocking Plain Tiles use a Secret Gutter and apply Wakaflex as a cover flashing only
- Use individual pieces of 280mm wide Wakaflex to form Hip and Valley Soakers when used with double lapped Plain Tiles.
- Lay with butyl strips in the direction of the valley or hip Valley soakers should not be used where the valley exceeds 5m in length or where upper roofs discharge onto the slope
- Do not use as hip or valley soakers with Redland DuoPlain interlocking Plain Tiles