TapcoSlate Classic Roof Slate
( £2.35 Incl. VAT)
TapcoSlate Classic Roof Slate
Whether you have a conservatory, modern house or a listed building, TapcoSlate Classic adds splendour, elegance and tradition to your home.
The TapcoSlate Classic range is authentically shaped with textured surfaces and riven edges moulded from authentic slates and is almost indistinguishable from natural slate – yet it has an even more refined appearance.
TapcoSlate Classic will not crack, break or delaminate, and its product formulation and manufacturing processes provide durability, performance, and longevity for many years to come.
Being a lightweight and easily-installed product, installation costs are lower, with less waste!
Roofing slate has for centuries been desired for its durability and aesthetic appeal, but it does have drawbacks with its weight, pitch restrictions and brittleness, however British Board of Agrément (BBA) certified and LABC Registered Details TapcoSlate Classic combines all the positive features of this beautiful, natural product, but adds practicality and enhanced performance to create a gorgeous roof that won’t break or delaminate, survives substantial impact
TapcoSlate Classic is very light in weight, easy to install, requires no sorting, clipping or drilling, has a 40-year warranty, and can be used on lower pitches than those achievable with natural slate making overall roof costings very competitive!
ROOF PITCH GAUGE SLATES PER m2
14* to 25 degrees (fully boarded or felt & battens) 6″ (152mm) 22
25 to 27.5 degrees (fully boarded or felt & battens) 6.5″ (165mm) 20
27.5 to 30 degrees (fully boarded or felt & battens) 7″ (178mm) 19
Above 30 degrees (fully boarded or felt & battens) 7.5″ (191mm) 18
Please note: The TapcoSlate product range is sold as the InSpire Roofing Products line in the USA. Installation techniques differ between the United States & the UK - the attached video should be viewed as a guide only.
- Material: Manufactured from a recyclable blend of limestone and polypropylene
- Size: 17.5 x 11.6 / 445mm x 295mm (inc horizontal spacers)
- Weight: 0.7 kg/slate / 16.25 kg/Bundle of 25
- Width: 0.40 / 10mm (Lower Edge) / 0.2" / 5mm (Top Edge)
- Minimum Pitch:
- 14 degrees to 25 degrees: 22 slates/m2
- 25 degrees to 27.5 degrees: 20 slates/m2
- 27.5 degrees to 30 degrees: 19 slates/m2
- 30 degrees and above: 18 slates/m2
- Batten size: 50mm x 25mm
- 14 degrees to 25 degrees: 6" / 150mm
- 25 degrees to 27.5 degrees: 6.5" / 165mm
- 27.5 degrees to 30 degrees: 7" / 180mm
- 30 degrees and above: 7.5" / 190mm
Cold Weather Installation
- Should be stored in original packaging in a storage facility where the temperature meets or exceeds 7 degrees c
- Use protective coverage over all pallets while being temporarily stored
- Must be conditioned at a temperature no lower than 7 degrees c for 24 h
- Should not be stored on roof decks in such a manner as to over-stress and/or damage the deck and supporting structure
- TapcoSlates can be slippery under certain conditions and job site safety procedures should be enforced.
- 40 years
- The ONLY BBA approved synthetic slate with minimum pitch capability of 14 degrees on felt and batten and fully boarded roof applications
- Lightweight as low as 12kg per square metre
- Easy to install with pre-marked nailing and exposure guides and spacers
- Easily cut with a fine-toothed saw or sharp utility blade
- Built-in camber for tighter fit when fixed in situ
- No sorting, clipping, or drilling required prior to roof loading
- Packaged in bundles of 25 for easy handling
- Ridges and Hips (available separately)) are mechanically fixed
- Wide choice of popular colours
- 40-year warranty
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC) & Local Authority Building Standards Scotland (LABSS) Registered Details product
- Fully tested to BBA, ETA and CE standards, including fire rating, wind, driven snow & rain, and water absorption
- BRE testing for wind-driven rain found TapoSlate Classic to perform much stronger than all equivalent materials tested and at a lower pitch
- TapcoSlate Classic is not made from recycled plastics but is manufactured from recyclable virgin limestone and polypropylene
- Can be used for vertical cladding
- Large-headed galvanised 30mm x 2.5mm (1.2” x 0.1”) steel nails (available separately) should be used for fixing TapcoSlate Classic slates.
- Aluminium or copper nails may also be used, but driving them through the slate may cause bending.
- Use longer 50mm (2”) nails (available separately) for fixing ridges and hips.
- 2 nails required per Classic slate
- 2 nails required per Ridge / Hip
- Use a fine-toothed handsaw, jigsaw, circular saw, or sharp utility blade to cut the TapcoSlate Classic slates.
- Use a non breathable membrane (available separately) for applications where the building is used occasionally / short periods - such as a shed or garage etc
- Use a breathable membrane (available separately) for applications where the building is being used regularly / long periods - such as a man cave, stables, home office etc
- On close boarded roofs where non breathable membrane is used as an underlay, the slates can be nailed straight onto the board through the membrane.
- On roofs where breathable membrane is used as an underlay, counter battens will need to be laid, and then the slates nailed onto the batten to allow air movement. Extra ventilation in these applications should be considered: please contact us to discuss your project in more detail.
- On the first course double the TapcoSlate Classic slates laid, thereafter lay at the appropriate gauge.
- Slates should be cut at the verges to the required overhang.
Please note: The TapcoSlate product range is sold as the InSpire Roofing Products line in the USA. Installation techniques differ between the United States & the UK - this video should be viewed as a guide only.